Manage episode 348050999 series 1282967
This week we’re back talking to Gergely Orosz — this time not quite about the insane tech hiring market, but more so the flip side, the 180, the not so good tech hiring market, the layoff market and what you can expect. There’s a lot of FUD out there, so hopefully this show gives you a lens into what’s really going on, and what to really expect. Maybe more so, how to keep your job or find a new job. We come to this topic with great compassion and great understanding, so please…there is a community here for you. There’s a lot of people in our Slack. Call it your home, it’s free to join and everyone is welcome.
Changelog++ members save 3 minutes on this episode because they made the ads disappear. Join today!
- Square – Develop on the platform that sellers trust. There is a massive opportunity for developers to support Square sellers by building apps for today’s business needs. Learn more at changelog.com/square to dive into the docs, APIs, SDKs and to create your Square Developer account — tell them Changelog sent you.
- Sentry – Working code means happy customers. That’s exactly why teams choose Sentry. From error tracking to performance monitoring, Sentry helps teams see what actually matters, resolve problems quicker, and learn continuously about their applications - from the frontend to the backend. Use the code
CHANGELOGand get the team plan free for three months.
- InfluxData – With its data collectors and scripting languages, a common API across the entire platform, and highly performant time series engine and storage, InfluxDB makes it easy to build once and deploy across multiple products and environments. InfluxDB’s new storage engine allows developers to build real-time applications even faster and with less code. Sign up for the InfluxDB Beta program to give it a try.
- Gergely Orosz – Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Adam Stacoviak – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn, Website
- Jerod Santo – Mastodon, Twitter, GitHub, LinkedIn
- The Changelog #464: This insane tech hiring market
- Wired.com: Despite Big Layoffs, Tech Workers Are Still in Demand
- Which one of these will be the biggest “unicorn” failure ever?
Something missing or broken? PRs welcome!
(00:00) - This week on The Changelog
(01:12) - Sponsor: Square
(02:05) - Start the show!
(03:35) - It's pretty much the opposite
(10:10) - How much was pandemic-lockdown fueled?
(19:08) - This was Adam's fear last year...
(28:30) - Sponsor: Sentry
(29:10) - The phenomenon of spiral inflation
(34:25) - The situations of our listeners
(43:38) - Don't burn bridges
(44:53) - It's been "the good times"
(48:37) - What is that "next" platform come from?
(52:39) - There's tons of opportunity in boring businesses
(1:01:15) - Sponsor: InfluxData
(1:02:17) - Take on risk on your own terms
(1:05:25) - A bitter sweet time for Gergely
(1:13:51) - Advice from Gergely
(1:20:07) - Gergley AI
(1:20:41) - Outro