Carl Herzog: Public Historian for USS CONSTITUTION Museum
Manage episode 338031195 series 3339032
With the 210th anniversary of the infamous battle between the US Navy's venerable grande dame, USS CONSTITUTION, and HMS GUERRIERE coming up on August 19, we thought it would be fun to have a conversation with Dr. Carl Herzog, public historian for USS CONSTITUTION Museum.
We chatted about everything from bottom copper and cathodic protection to what constitutes "original" in ships that have led multiple service lives to the thing that hasn't changed in hundreds of years of naval history: for humans going to sea, the ocean is always the first adversary.
Oh, and Carl's photo in the thumbnail...? That's CONSTITUTION's keel over his head.
* * * *
- Come aboard for a tour: https://www.pacificbattleship.com/museum_visit
- Volunteer with us: https://www.pacificbattleship.com/get-involved/volunteer
- National Museum of the Surface Navy: https://www.surfacenavymuseum.org/donate
- Become a Plank Owner: https://www.surfacenavymuseum.org/plank_owner
- Donate: https://www.surfacenavymuseum.org/donate
- Find out about our veterans' programs: https://pacificbattleship.com/get-involved/veterans/
Feedback? Questions? Comments?