The War on Drag
Manage episode 352818181 series 2423683
This month, hosts Christina Cauterucci, Jules Gill-Peterson, and Bryan Lowder take an in-depth look at the latest fixation of the far right: drag, an art form as old as gender itself, which has brought generations of queer people together. In the first segment, the hosts consider why conservatives are now trying to regulate drag shows out of existence and armed hate groups are showing up at drag events to threaten and intimidate performers and audiences. Then they are joined by Lil Miss Hot Mess, who in addition to performing with Drag Story Hour, has taken an academic interest in what children take away from drag events.
Items discussed in the show:
- The beautiful lullaby version of “Titanium” in M3GAN.
- M.J. Rodriguez’s gorgeous 2023 Golden Globes dress
- Drag Story Hour
- Diane di Prima’s poem “Rant”
- Lil Miss Hot Mess’ clap-back video to Marco Rubio’s attack ad
- Jules: Any DJ set by Honey Dijon. (Here’s one to start with.)
- Bryan: Cleanse your social media feeds, and introduce some cozy vibes with Isaac Mizrahi’s Instagram feed.
- Christina: “The ‘Golden Gays’ Return to the Stage in the Philippines,” by Hannah Reyes Morales in the New York Times
This podcast was produced by June Thomas.
Please send feedback, topic ideas, and advice questions to email@example.com.
Learn more about your ad choices. Visit megaphone.fm/adchoices