Manage episode 374795798 series 2484441
Have you tirelessly pursued a dream, only to discover an underlying emptiness even after achieving it?
Many have experienced this paradox of achieving a dream, yet still feeling unfulfilled.
It's a common experience where the pursuit of a goal doesn't always lead to lasting contentment.
Today, we have a special guest who's been on the podcast before - multi-platinum rapper, singer-songwriter, producer, and best-selling author - Russ.
Russ talks to us about his successful music career and the highs and lows that come with fame and excess. He shares his self-development journey and the realizations he's come to by facing his emotions and going to therapy.
Russ' fifth studio album SANTIAGO was released on August 18th, 2023.
In our quest for understanding, we shatter the myth of perfectionism, revealing its often-hidden undercurrents and the misconceptions around seeking help. We will examine the roles we play in the lives of others and the profound effects of vulnerability on our connections, the profound shift in mindset that dismantles rigidity and nurtures flexibility, and the role of emotional suppression in men's lives.
Intriguing conversations lead us to the heart of healthy internal dialogue, providing tools to process thoughts and emotions while nurturing a sense of self-awareness. We contemplate the intricate relationship between our identities and the roles we assume, and the transformative effects of releasing these roles when they no longer serve us.
In this interview, you will learn:
- The emotional struggles of men
- The misconceptions about being a perfectionist
- How to have a healthy dialogue with yourself
- How to get around destructive habits
- How evolution is part of personal growth
- How to become flexible in life
We invite you to join us on this deep exploration of self, witnessing the power of embracing authenticity and confronting insecurities head-on.
With Love and Gratitude,
What We Discuss:
- 00:00 Intro
- 00:19 What happens when you keep chasing after something you thought you wanted but you still feel empty?
- 04:46 Men have become professionals in masking their emotions. What happens when it becomes too much?
- 08:43 What do men struggle with the most? How are they coping with it?
- 11:27 The misconception about being a perfectionist and how help is being coded as a form of criticism
- 14:26 What role do you play in other people’s lives?
- 16:15 Why are men afraid to show vulnerability to others, especially around women?
- 19:43 Everyone is at a different place in their journey, wherever you maybe right now is fine
- 22:57 Stop chasing approval and validation from other people
- 31:22 What are the practices you’re doing to validate yourself?
- 34:14 Healthy internal dialogue with yourself can help you process the thoughts in your mind
- 38:39 If your identity is based on the role you play, what happens when you can longer play that role?
- 39:49 What does growing up and then growing down mean?
- 40:58 “I don’t like myself.” Have you felt this before?
- 42:27 Why does the rejection of your insecurities lead to destructive habits?
- 45:51 What insecurity have you been holding onto?
- 48:00 If you can talk to your younger self now, what do you need to hear?
- 52:07 If you still carry the same beliefs from your younger self after learning so a lot of things then you’re not growing
- 56:29 The downside of having the mentality that you’re always right
- 58:41 The shift in mindset that can help you remove rigidity and become more flexible
- 01:04:01 This version of yourself that has not been shown to the world
- 01:06:17 Do you create a false sense of safety and security in your life?
- 01:11:09 Creating music after a book and the message it portrays
Want to be a Jay Shetty Certified Life Coach? Get the Digital Guide and Workbook from Jay Shetty https://jayshettypurpose.com/fb-getting-started-as-a-life-coach-podcast/
See omnystudio.com/listener for privacy information.